Monday, September 01, 2003

I've been feeling impossibly upbeat over the past week or so -- not that I've been habitually dour over the past long time, although I'd have every right to be considering the hatchet job Bush has made of the economy, which has made my latest job hunt a study in ego crucifixion like nothing I've known. I've got a Master's degree, dammit -- my diploma says "Master of Arts!" How can you not want to hire a Master?! Igor and Renfield sure seemed to think quite a lot of the title!

Anyway, the last week has found me in very good spirits, although I have yet to figure out why. Had a visit from a friend of mine from Seattle, which reminded me that there are both cool people and places out beyond Tucson's metaphorical presidio walls. And 28 Days Later may have also had something to do with it -- however bad my job prospects may be, at least I'm not being chased by crazy, red-eyed, infected zombies with track shoes. Or maybe just that summer's finally over, and I have the hope of going outside without having to thumb the over-anxious, well-sunned melanomas back into my neck. And I've been listening to a lot of ridiculously, desperately optimistic Depression-era tunes like, "Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries" (which is quite Buddhist, really), "Sunny Side of the Street," and "Happy Days are Here Again." Then I watched The Grapes of Wrath, and thought that all Henry Fonda really needed was a crystal set and a clear signal from Los Angeles and everything would have been great! Some '30s humor for y'all.

Anyway, watch this space for new developments.

No comments: