Thursday, September 11, 2003

I've been listening to a lot of talk radio while driving around town, and I've been hearing a lot about needing to remember 9/11, that we should never forget, that doing so would be dishonoring the dead. I don't know where the hell these windbags have been for the past two years, but I can do pretty much anything but forget -- it's in my mind in some form or another pretty much every single day. I've changed, most people I know have changed, the whole world's changed. We've got a level of global antagonism, tension, and anxiety that wasn't around before then. We've got images of jumbo jets flying into buildings that don't get any less surreal as time goes by, burned into our heads. How is it conceivable that, after two years, that we'd suddenly be saying, "September 11... isn't that somebody's birthday?" Go ask a WWII vet if he recalls what December 7th's all about, and if he needs his memory jogged.

I've got a pretty thick skin, but I kept the TV off today, and listened to a lot of sports. I certainly don't need anyone reminding me about 9/11 -- seeing the fucking date on my cell phone makes me very sad.

Anyway, my longtime friend Donn Erik has done something absolutely remarkable with his grief after losing his wife in the Pentagon. Check out the Shelley A. Marshall foundation here.

No comments: